Welcome to the first installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from PsycheDiver: Ambulation: What are your hopes for your avatar and new functionality of stations?
[It seems I missed the bus on the Blog Banter, and didn't respond to CK's email to get involved although I don't recall seeing it. Anyhoo, here's my take on Ambulation]
What does Ambulation mean to me? On the surface, not a great deal. I have read with interest over most of the other participant bloggers’ thoughts on this and it seems that they are overwhelmingly in favour of it. I feel a lot more neutral on it. So I’ll stick my neck out.
My first thought is really that Eve is first and foremost about space and spaceships and their interactions. A lot of Ambulation of course depends on how CCP implement it, but giving people much more reason to stay docked and do ‘stuff’, to my mind, doesn’t promote good gameplay. Decorating an office, choosing what clothes my character wears, seeing other characters face to face…it doesn’t excite me. I would play Second Life for that level of detail.
What would be cool as one of the bloggers said would be if you want to fit mods you can either go for the current drag and drop, or watch the NPCs as they get to work fitting your specific module- no generic video, you’d actually feel like they’re working on your ship. But how many times would you be ‘wow’ed by it before you turn off the effect and go back to the current drag n’ drop for speed?
I don’t believe Ambulation is a waste of time, not by a long way. I get a vague impression that it is a precursor to planetary flight, even if it is a very long way off. At this point, I just feel it’s an unnecessary addition to a game that doesn’t need walking in stations. I guess opinions will be heavily split on this- to (over?) generalise, I think the PvPers will see it as fluff that gets in the way of people undocking and pewpew’ing, whereas everyone else may well enjoy the slower pace of life that it will inevitably introduce.
Is it a major change to Eve? Absolutely. Is it a positive change to Eve? Time will tell. I am sure CCP have got some cool things up their sleeve and I am very interested in Ambulation, even if it currently doesn’t mean a lot to me.
* CrazyKinux’s Musing: Exotic Dancers, Corporate Meetings & more
* The Wandering Druid of Tranquility: Ambulation – what I hope to see
* Semper EVE: Blog Banter #1 – Ambulation
* The Ralpha Dogs: Ambulation/Walking in Stations: A “Second Life” for EVE?
* Drunk in Space: Look at how much weight he put on…
* Diving into PsycheDiver’s Psyche: Ambulation and Her
* Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah: Eve Blog Banter – Ambulation
* I am Keith Neilson: Going For A Stroll Through EVE
* Life in Low Sec: Ambulation Fantasies
* Shahirs Journey: Hopes for Ambulation
* A Mule in EVE: Ambulation
* Protosolus: EVE: Gawking in Stations
* One Man, One Ship: Ambulation
* Achernar: Avatars in a spaceships game
* The Shard: Ambulation
* Mad Rant: Saturday Night Fever
* I May Find Peace Within The Emptiness…: Walking Around…
* A Merry life: Ambulation